43 Queen Street
Kincardine and District General Hospital was first proposed in November, 1908 by Madame Josephine Gualco, a wealthy, widely-travelled European lady who, between her many trips to Europe, made her home in Kincardine. She had purchased the Grant property on Queen Street North and proposed to donate it along with $2,500 annually for the creation of a hospital to serve Kincardine and surrounding district. The Hospital was incorporated by on December 17, 1908 under the Ontario Companies Act and the original Directors of the Corporation were Andrew Malcolm, Hugh Clark, John Tolmie, John McCrimmon and Kenneth McKenzie. On May 21, 1909, the contract was let for conversion of the Grant property with financing being covered by public subscription and grants. The charter for the Kincardine General Hospital was procured on June 19, 1909 and the first birth in the 11-bed facility was recorded on March 10, 1910. From 1911 until the final graduation in 1932, the Hospital served as a training school for nurses in affiliation with the Stratford Hospital, the first graduation occurring in 1912. Ross Robertson, a pioneer merchant, donated $2,000 in 1923 toward a new wing in memory of his mother who was the daughter of Allan Cameron, one of Kincardine's co-founders. On August 25, 1956 the Dr. John McCrimmon Wing was opened, increasing the Hospital's capacity to 44 beds. May 12, 1968 saw the opening of the East Wing, raising the capacity to 68 beds. A $2.6 million expansion was opened in 1981 and since that date, the Hospital has undergone many upgrades and renovations to maximize efficiency, including: Emergency Operating Room and Fracture Room; Decontamination Room designed to serve Ontario Hydro's Bruce and Douglas Point Power Plants (now Bruce Power), $40,000 being donated by Ontario Hydro; New Laboratory and expanded Physiotherapy and Radiology departments, the latter featuring 2 new imaging rooms and electrocardiography; New outpatient care facilities; and Renovations to original and older parts of the Hospital and retrofits to air and power supplies, medical gases and other vital systems. Due to health care cutbacks, the bed capacity has decreased over time and currently stands at 25 beds. The Hospital still stands in its original location overlooking Lake Huron as a lasting memorial to Madame Gualco, Drs. John McCrimmon and John Ferguson who took over its guidance after Madame Gualco's final return to Europe and also to the many civic-minded individuals and staff members who have contributed to its continued success.
43 Queen Street
Diane Baldwin, Foundation Co-ordinator
Phone:519-396-3331 ext 342