21 McGivern St. W.,
The County of Bruce General Hospital evolved from an $8,000 legacy bequeathed by William John Moore in 1899. On June 8, 1900, the Hospital was incorporated, building was started in 1902 and the first patient was admitted on September 27, 1902. Until 1943, the Hospital directed a school for Registered Nurses. The Hospital continued to evolve to meet the needs of the community, with renovations and/or expansions occurring as follows: A new addition containing 6 nursing wards was completed in December, 1906. A new medical wing was opened in 1959, providing x-ray, surgical and obstetrical facilities and resulting in a revised bed capacity of 51 adult, 4 pediatric and 14 bassinets. In June, 1966, another wing was opened changing the bed configuration to 105 adult, 9 pediatric and 8 bassinets. In addition, the nurses' residence was renovated to provide 3 classes and living facilities for a training centre for Registered Nursing Assistants. Another wing was added in 1975 and contained a new Emergency Department, a Multi-Purpose Intensive Care Unit, Staff offices as well as a Pharmacy and a Laboratory. In 1983, renovations were made to the Community Health Centre to provide office space for specialists and to create space for an Ambulatory Day Hospital facility. Later that year, a bequest was received from the Honourable Campbell Grant for the purpose of initiating a Stress Testing Laboratory, which was located in the Day Hospital together with a Holter Monitor Lab. As the result of a donation from Carl and Helen Larsen, a new lounge was made available in June, 1990 for medical, surgical and chronic patients. A later phase of renovations commenced in 1994 resulting from the downsizing of the Hospital to 62 bed capacity and have included the creation of a regional birthing centre, offices for physicians, meeting space which is available to the public, enlarged Day Surgery facilities and enlargement to the Auxiliary's Gift Shop, work and storage areas. Currently, the site has a 31-bed capacity (25 acute, 6 obstetric).
21 McGivern Street,
P.O. Box 1300
Cheryl Hopkins, Foundation Coordinator